How to reduce piglet scours?
- Ensure the sow is clean before it enters the farrowing pen
- Use clean and disinfected buckets and preferably use separate boots and clothing in the piglet area
- Make sure the piglets have easy access to the sow
- Start with piglet feed at an early age. Make sure the feed is prepared following the instructions and provide adequate feeding areas (up to eight piglets per feeding area)
- Provide adequate drinking water
- Check piglets twice daily in the farrowing pen for signs of neonatal diarrhoea
- Consider vaccination of the sows against pig scours